38 year old female, enlarged painless lymph node on the right side of the neck. Excision of lymph node.
- Partly cystic tumour with formation of papillae surrounded by a capsule of varying thickness
- Partly papillary structures covered by cuboidal cells, partly cylindrical cells, fibrovascular stroma
- Tumour infiltration of the capsule
- The tumour tissue contains some individual islands of lymphatic tissue: remnant of lymph node
- Some tumour cells have nuclei with a milk glass appearance
- Central clearing of nuclei
- Some of the nuclei overlap
- Nuclear grooves and inclusions
The papillary thyroid carcinoma typically spreads along the lymphatic vessels. The prognosis is good: 15-year survival is 80-90%.