Young patient in ill health with; rapidly progressing sensomotoric tetraparesis. HIV-positive (clinical stage IV).
- Cross-section through cervical cord with noticeably large, optically empty vacuoles in the area of the long tracts
- These vacuoles displace the myelinated fibres.
- The diameter of the vacuoles is up to 80 um
- The dorsal tracts also show bilateral central subacute demyelination with resorption.
- The grey matter contains well-differentiated ventral motor neurons without remarkable pathological findings.