55-year-old male. Smoker, general deterioration of health, autopsy specimen.
- Lung tissue with bronchi (recognisable by cartilage)
- Bronchi and lung tissue partially destroyed by invasively growing tumour
- Relatively small tumour cells (cells slightly larger than small lymphocytes) of round or oval shape. Thin, hardly visible rim of cytoplasm (“naked nuclei”)
- Numerous individual necrotic cells (pyknosis)
- Areas of necrotic tumour
- Little stroma with only minimal inflammatory infiltration
- Marked lymphangitis carcinomatosa in the surroundings