70-year-old male, nicotine abuse, chronic bronchitis. Inoperable
central carcinoma detected 1 year previously. Pneumonia. Autopsy
- Lung tissue with large bronchi (cartilage and glands)
- Tumour with infiltrative growth, partly consisting of cell strands
resembling squamous epithelium with low-grade parakeratotic keratinisation
and clusters of intercellular bridges
- Most of the tumour cells are relatively large, some highly polymorphous.
Prominent nucleoli. Pathological mitotic figures.
- Necrotic tumour areas
- Desmoplastic stromal reaction: tumour-induced but not neoplastic
- Inflammatory infiltrates in stroma
- The border non-invasive dysplastic squamous epithelium