65-year-old male, an investigation for haemoptysis led to the radiological
finding of a lung shadow. Following diagnosis a bronchoscopic biopsy
was undertaken: resection. Operative specimen.
- Lung tissue with infiltrative growing tumour
- Strands of epithelial cells of varying breadth
- Medium-sized cells with distinctly visible rim of cytoplasm.
- Polymorphous, bubble-like nuclei with prominent nucleoli
- There is no differentiation of the squamous-cell epithelium (intercellular
bridges or keratinsation absent); no glands.
Differential diagnosis: other non-small cell bronchial carcinoma
- Metastases of an extrapulmonary carcinoma