30-year-old male, accident with resulting hypovolaemic shock. Death
after 3 days due to respiratory failure. Autopsy specimen.
- Lung tissue with dilated capillaries and interstitial oedema
- Microthrombi ( hardly seen in the given specimen)
- Alveolar septa not covered by epithelium
- Clusters of hyaline membranes
- cClusters of increased numbers of type II pneumocytes: cuboid
metaplasia, i.e. the alveolar walls are lined by large cuboid cells.
The cells are partially detached and arranged as a chain in the
- Macrophages in the alveolar lumen
- Some alveoli have collapsed so that the alveolar walls touch.