40-year-old male with blocked nose and increased mucous production.
Surgical excision of nasal polyps.
Macroscopically round, lucent grey, shiny polypoid excision biopsy
- One or more mucosal fragments, markedly oedematous stroma, forming
- Ciliated epithelium of the surface, in some sections replaced
by metaplastic squamous epithelium.
- Lymphocytic and plasma cell infiltrates and often numerous granulocytes
in the oedematous stroma
- Hyperplasia of Goblet cells
- Clusters of mucosal glands, partly with cystic dilation
- Thickened basal membrane