62-year-old male; died 3 days after admission for myocardial infarction
with cardiogenic shock. Creatine kinase (CK) reached a level of
1300E/I (normal range male:11-50, normal range female: 7-32). Lung
oedema. Autopsy specimen.
- Macroscopically circumscribed yellowish-brown zone in anterior
wall and anterior septal area with thrombotic occlusion of the proximal
anterior descending branch (see specimen SIII10)
- An overview shows pale clusters with a basophilic border in the
- The pale clusters have few cells and thin wavy muscle fibres.
- Basophilic border: the more pale necrotic areas are demarcated
by densely lying, partly degenerating granulocytes
- Outer layer: hypereosinophilic clusters partly accompanied by
granulocytic infiltrates (acute myocardial necrosis)
- Inner layer: a rim of subendocardial muscle tissue remains (supplied
with oxygen by diffusion), infiltrated by granulocytes (moving towards