90-year-old female, death due to bronchopneumonia. No known cardiac
disease. Autopsy specimen.
Macroscopically: mildly globally enlarged heart, noticeably hard.
- Numerous clusters of variable size all staining congo red found
throughout the myocardium.
- Large clusters : homgenous masses staining congo red, replacing
- Small clusters: congo red masses accumulating between muscle fibres
and capillaries, extending thus the distance of oxygen diffusion
- Some muscle fibres enclosed by amyloid are significantly smaller
(atrophied) than the unaffected neighbouring muscle fibres (compensated
- Hyaline substance can be found throughout individual intramural
branches of coronary arteries (media and intima layer)
- The endocardium is only slightly affected by skip lesions
- In the subpericardial adipose tissue there is only mild amyloid
deposition around individual adipocytes.