65-year-old male. Smoker. Solid carcinoma of the upper lobe bronchus.
Large lymph node metastases in the mediastinum.
Macroscopically: fibrinous-haemorrhagic pericardial effusion of
300 mL, several blood clots
- Section through all layers of the left ventricle wall
- Massively broadened epicardium: solid carcinoma, partly in vessels
lined by endothelium (lymphatic vessels); diffusely infiltrating
the epicardial adipose tissue.
- The myocardium displays a decreasing infiltration of lymphatic
spaces from the epicardium towards the endocardium (Lymphangiosis
- Infiltration of the parenchyma, especially in the outer myocardial
- Inner myocardial layer: several scars and subacute necrosis (not
associated with pericardial carcinosis; there is a co-existing coronary