30.year-old female with type I diabetes, few week-old panaritium
of the large toe. Hospitalisationdue to sepsis. Blood cultures showed
staphylococcus aureus. Autopsy specimen.
- Mitral valve leaflet thickened in the border at closure site.
- Surface incompletely covered by thin film of fibrin
- Basophilic cocci within the fibrin layer. The stroma of the underlying
valve is poor in cells (necrotic)
- Necrosis is recognizable by granulocytic demarcation deep within
- There is no evidence of previous valve damage (neither scars nor
- Compare to specimen SIII12 and SIII14