13-year-old girl underwent appendectomy because of acute pain in the right lower quadrant.
- Fibrotic obliteation of the tip of the appendix.
- At the tip, diffuse infiltration of the appendiceal wall and the mesenteriolum by neutrophilic granulocytes (suppurative inflammation).
- Edema of the appendiceal wall and congestion of blood vessels.
- Focal fibrinopurulent peritonitis (creates rebound tenderness).
- Remainder of the appendix with intact mucosa (no ulcerations or erosisons). Focal suppurative inflammation of submucosa and muscularis externa.